By Abdelwahab Meddeb,Benjamin Stora
This is the 1st encyclopedic advisor to the historical past of family among Jews and Muslims around the globe from the delivery of Islam to this present day. Richly illustrated and wonderfully produced, the ebook good points greater than one hundred fifty authoritative and available articles by means of a world group of best specialists in historical past, politics, literature, anthropology, and philosophy. prepared thematically and chronologically, this integral reference offers serious proof and balanced context for better ancient knowing and a extra proficient discussion among Jews and Muslims.
Part I covers the medieval interval; half II, the early sleek interval in the course of the 19th century, within the Ottoman Empire, Africa, Asia, and Europe; half III, the 20 th century, together with the exile of Jews from the Muslim international, Jews and Muslims in Israel, and Jewish-Muslim politics; and half IV, intersections among Jewish and Muslim origins, philosophy, scholarship, artwork, ritual, and ideology. the most articles handle significant subject matters similar to the Jews of Arabia on the foundation of Islam; specified profiles disguise very important participants and locations; and excerpts from basic resources offer modern perspectives on historic events.
Contributors comprise Mark R. Cohen, Alain Dieckhoff, Michael Laskier, Vera Moreen, Gordon D. Newby, Marina Rustow, Daniel Schroeter, Kirsten Schulze, Mark Tessler, John Tolan, Gilles Veinstein, and plenty of more.
- Covers the historical past of kinfolk among Jews and Muslims around the globe from the start of Islam to today
- Written through a global crew of best scholars
- Features in-depth articles on social, political, and cultural history
- Includes profiles of significant humans (Eliyahu Capsali, Joseph Nasi, Mohammed V, Martin Buber, Anwar Sadat and Menachem commence, Edward acknowledged, Messali Hadj, Mahmoud Darwish) and locations (Jerusalem, Alexandria, Baghdad)
- Presents passages from crucial records of every ancient interval, resembling the Cairo Geniza, Al-Sira, and Judeo-Persian illuminated manuscripts
- Richly illustrated with greater than 250 photos, together with maps and colour photographs
- Includes wide cross-references, bibliographies, and an index
Read Online or Download A History of Jewish-Muslim Relations: From the Origins to the Present Day PDF
Best historical reference books
Studienarbeit aus dem Jahr 2010 im Fachbereich Geschichte - Sonstiges, observe: 1,7, Universität Potsdam (Historisches Institut), Veranstaltung: US- Außenpolitik in den 70er Jahren, Sprache: Deutsch, summary: Inhaltsverzeichnis1. Einleitung. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .
History from issues explores the numerous methods objects—defined extensively to variety from Chippendale tables and Italian Renaissance pottery to seventeenth-century parks and a brand new England cemetery—can reconstruct and aid reinterpret the earlier. Eighteen essays describe the best way to “read” artifacts, the right way to “listen to” landscapes and destinations, and the way to use equipment and theories to old inquiry that experience formerly belonged exclusively to archaeologists, anthropologists, paintings historians, and conservation scientists.
This is the 1st encyclopedic consultant to the background of family among Jews and Muslims around the globe from the start of Islam to this day. Richly illustrated and fantastically produced, the booklet positive factors greater than one hundred fifty authoritative and obtainable articles via a world group of major specialists in background, politics, literature, anthropology, and philosophy.
The increase and Fall of Democracy in Early the United States describes and explores the emergence of a at once democratic political tradition in the United States, the Federalists' theoretical crusade opposed to that tradition, and the legacy of the fight over democracy for politics this present day. the increase and Fall of Democracy in Early the United States lines the increase of democracy in the United States starting with the Puritans of recent England; the radicalization through the eighteenth century of Puritan notions of group, autonomy, and participation; and the Antifederalist try and protect a democratic political tradition within the face of Federalist efforts to centralize strength and distance it from the folks via the passage of the 1787 structure.
- The Circassian: A Life of Esref Bey, Late Ottoman Insurgent and Special Agent
- Wege in die Gewalt: Die 68er zwischen Kritik und Militanz (German Edition)
- Black and Brown: African Americans and the Mexican Revolution, 1910-1920 (American History and Culture)
- Die Revolution von 1918/19 (Beck'sche Reihe) (German Edition)
Additional resources for A History of Jewish-Muslim Relations: From the Origins to the Present Day